A rough guide to installing the Pinnacle PCTV Hybrid Pro on Ubuntu Edgy 6.10. I’m not going to beat around the bush with this – I’m just going to tell you how I did it. This tutorial will probably help install other tv cards based on the em28xx chipset but I cannot be sure.
1. Now open a terminal (Application->Accessories->Termial in Ubuntu).
2. I hate all this messing around with sudo at the front of every command put yourself into root with:
3. Now you need to install some stuff first so do this:
apt-get install mercurial linux-headers-$(uname -r) gcc g++ make xawtv kaffeine dialog
4. Change Directory by executing this command:
5. Download the firmware for this specific product:
6. Extract it here:
tar xvzf firmware_v3.tgz
5. Change Directory again:
6. This downloads the necissary V4L drivers:
hg clone http://mcentral.de/hg/~mrec/v4l-dvb-experimental
7. Change Directory:
8. This one takes some time, it compiles the drivers – I think it took me about an hour on my slow laptop:
9. And then:
The drivers are now installed but we need to reboot
10. Make sure you bookmark this page so that you can return to after you restart.
— reboot now —
11. Open a terminal and get into root again:
12. Type these 3 lines into the terminal one by one; if any error occurs then something has gone wrong and I can’t help you.
13. If all went well type:
14. Copy and paste these lines into the bottom of the file and then save it.
Everything should now be running smoothly.
15. Open Kaffeine from Applications->Sound & Video->Kaffeine
A new “Digital TV” icon should have appeared – Click that and being the wonders of digital TV. Or if you want to watch Analouge TV hang on a second.
To view analogue TV in Ubuntu, open XawTV (Applications->Sound & Video->XawTV)
Video: To change channels in XawTV use the up and down arrow keys on your keyboard until you come to something that looks somewhat like an image. There are other applications for this kind of thing but I won’t go through them with you – instead I shall palm you off onto http://www.linuxtv.org
Audio: Audio is a strange affair with this.
- 1. Open XawTV and make sure that the region is set correctly. For the UK use PAL-I from the selection; this makes sure that the audio will work properly.
- 2. Find a channel in XawTV (In the UK I have found that the analogue channels are in the range of channels 20 to 40 in XawTV).
- 3. Download this file and save it in a nice place so that you will remember it.
- 4. Open a Terminal.
- 5. Run this command: sudo su
- 6. Now, Change Directory to where you saved the earlier downloaded file. (e.g. cd /home/rob/Downloads or wherever you stored the file)
- 7. Run this command: chmod +x v4l-scripts-usbaudio_setup.sh
- 8. And finally run this command: ./v4l-scripts-usbaudio_setup.sh
WARNING: You will have to do steps 5, 6 and 8 each time you chose to watch analogue TV with sound.
Usefull Links – Stuff that helped me install it
- Em2880 – V4LWiki
- Translated version of http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/pctv_hybrid_pro_stick – Most helpfull
edit 12th May 2007: some updates have been made including the repository change